Roof Removal Part 1

Roof Removal - Part One

The next step was to get the exterior roof off the trailer.  The side skin tucked into the roof piece so the sides were not coming off until the top was off.
The roof bent over the sides and was held in place by what else: screws and butyl tape.  We started by getting all the screws out of the sides that hold the roof in place.


My son enjoyed removing all the screws - with the electric tool!

Next was onto the roof front seam, that went fairly smoothly.  Once is was free the aluminum siding popped right up. 
Note the siding sticking up.  Also all the exterior lights are off!
On to the roof back seam.  That was a bit tougher.  The framing that it was attached to was all rotted.  The screws would spin and spin but not come out.  
Just a peek to see what was underneath!

If you look hard you can see the front panel sticking up.
All the screws were out now we had to tackle the butyl tape.  That was the only thing holding the roof to the side panels.  I had to reach up over my head and push the scraper in between the roof panel and the side skin to release the roof peice.  I was a bit tired when it was done.
  The roof piece has been pried away from the siding.

The driver side of the trailer has the roof pried away. 
Now for the hard part.  I would have to get the roof vent out.  This meant going onto the roof and removing the screws from around the outside of the vent.
We had set up the scaffolding and had been using it to get the screws out from the front and back roof seams.  Now I had to use it to get myself up on the roof!  As I was standing on the scaffolding I was able to hold onto the rafters to help pull my legs and back side up on the roof.  Once up there I felt much more comfortable working up there.  If I was going to fall through the ceiling it was going to happen right away but it didn't so I got to work.





 Once I got the the vent cover out (which was pretty easy) I had to get down!  That was a bit more scary than getting up.



I had a spot from from my husband.


Now we are ready to  remove the roof piece!











Now we can see the roof framing.


The insulation looks good!


Got the insulation out and could see the framing...

and the damages! (Back drivers side)
  Just as we thought the corners are bad.  More to come.


Front drivers side.

Front drivers side

Back passenger side

Looking toward the front of the camper

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So I Bought A Travel Trailer

Where to Work?

Corner Molding